Saturday, April 29, 2017

You Dropped a Bomb on Me

As I walked out of my French class (speaking nothing but English), my classmate told me something that made my heart drop. She had told me that USA has just dropped a bomb on Syria and also that they were going to start a draft again. Instantly, I went into panic mode, calling my grandmother to see if she could shine some much needed light on why we decided to bomb Syria. As we talked and pieced together news articles and theories, I ended up changing the question to "why did we get involved with another countries problems? Must we always be the knight in shining armor?"
The worst part is, I actually felt prideful to have been The American's who shoot first and ask questions later. Which is literally what President Trump did, unleashing 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles on a Syrian airbase (which was believed to have been the origin of the planes that had initially carried out a chemical attack on it's own people) WITHOUT the consent or even discussing it with Congress or any other person in the world. NAFTA  wasn't even aware of the strike, leaving our ally countries just as baffled as a lot of American people. Francois Hollande, the French president, tweeted "US strikes show needed resolve against barbaric chemical attacks. EU will work with the US to end brutality in Syria". Well Mr. Hollande, my only question for you is "why didn't you strike Syria then?" Maybe it was because he didn't want to potentially endanger his own people... a risk Trump is obviously willing to take. 
The American people don't need a president that feels we're as indestructible as we think we are, because at the end of the day...we're not. Therefore, as much as I commend President Trump for being a complete badass and flexing the guns, I would hope that one day our leader doesn't feed into our "invincible American" archetype and instead acts rationally and maybe discussing bombing a country with congress BEFORE actually bombing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment